Looking forward to Hallowe’en? We are too! Although some restrictions are lifted, this Hallowe’en will be different from what we’re used to. With more and more people in Ireland exploring sober-curious and mindful drinking, why not try throwing a different type of Hallowe’en party too? A party with less alcohol doesn’t have to be less fun, and having alcohol this Hallowe’en doesn’t mean you can’t be safe.
- Use a smaller glass: Drinking from smaller glasses can help us reduce the amount we are drinking. It can also slow down how fast we drink.
- Stock up on alcohol free alternatives: Some of the most popular drinks now have alcohol free alternatives. From beer, to spirits, to wines, you and your guests can enjoy their favourite taste without the alcohol.
- Food! Hallowe’en is a time for festive foods – candied apples, barm brack and pumpkin pie. If hosting a small get-together make sure you have a selection of food for your guests
- Designated drivers and taxis: You should never, ever drink and drive. Organise designated drivers who will not drink at all, or gather a list of taxi companies that can be called to bring people home safely. Remember, it takes at least one hour to process one standard drink. A standard drink can be half a pint of beer, 100ml glass of wine or a 35.5ml measure of spirits.
- Try our drinks calculator to understand the real impact of alcohol on your health, wellbeing and bank balance
- Read more tips to drink less
Try some of these spooky games this Hallowe’en!
- Murder mystery: Someone pretends to be the victim. Someone pretends to be the killer. Everyone else has to figure it out.
- Truth or dare jenga: Write on an old jenga set with truth or dares. Players pull a piece each turn and play what’s on their piece.
- Pumpkin carving contest: A Hallowe’en classic, and one you have to be sober for! Please be safe and carve something spooky.
- Try alcohol free drinks: Did you know that there is an alcohol free bar called The Virgin Mary? They’ve shared a delicious Hallowe’en alcohol free cocktail recipes with us.
MOCKING SCARY MARY
As the dark nights draw closer, here’s a vibrant alcohol-free cocktail to brighten up your evenings and help celebrate all things spooky this Halloween!
|Orgeat Syrup* (or sugar syrup)||10ml|
|White Grapefruit Juice||20ml|
Add all of your ingredients to a shaker with lots of ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a chilled coup. Garnish with a twist of orange peel.
Both Mockingbird Spirit and Everleaf Forest are available via www.thevirginmarybar.com
*Orgeat syrup is a sweet syrup made from almonds, sugar, and rose water or orange flower water. If you can’t get this, then add a simple sugar syrup instead as it will provide the sweet balance to the drink.